Kew Bridge development

Kew Bridge Road

 

The north side of Kew Bridge Road is not part of the development. It contains interesting and listed buildings, many of which are sadly neglected. Whether the development goes ahead or not, its consideration should be a catalyst for action in what could be an attractive group of buildings which are at the start of the walk from Kew Bridge Station to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

First is the handsome Kew Bridge Station, built in 1850 and designed by Sir William Tite.

This view of the boarded up and grubby building is the first impression of the area when passengers follow the sign and "Alight here for the Royal Botanic Gardens"

The station building is largely unoccupied - apart from Kew Cars which rents an office at the front - and is not needed by the railway. The entrance to the unmanned platforms and the automatic ticket machines is to the right. The building is listed Grade II and is on the English Heritage register of Buildings at Risk. It is weatherproof and will probably be sold.

Next to Kew Bridge Station is the short parade of Victorian shops and flats 57-60 Kew Bridge Road. Sadly neglected with a builder's yard and rented storage units behind a large hoarding was recently removed from the front after planning permission was refused. An appeal for its reinstatement is currently being considered. Planning applications for conversion of part of this unit to residential flats were turned down in 2004, though in 1999 plans were passed, and the future of these locally listed buildings is uncertain. Q's View was a cafe, so named because it faced the 'Q' Theatre on the opposite side of the road. The theatre closed in 1956 and Rivers House now stands on the site.
 

 




Go to Fitting In

Back to Kew Bridge development front page

Back to Strand on the Green front page

visit the Paul Lewis front page

 


All material on these pages is Paul Lewis 1996-2007